Scrappy Carp Blog

Scrappy Carp Blog
Seize the Day!

Saturday, October 4, 2014

I am an..... Artist

I am an Artist

I am an artist by Megan H Carroll

This is a proclamation. I don't say this very often though it is probably known by those that know me but what about those that don't? How do I introduce myself? How do I answer that question: "what do you do?"
Up until know I have been saying "well you know (because first comes the excuses), I have kids, I am married... I am a stay at home mum... I do laundry, make meals... and I sew, and I umm... um make art?!" As if it were question, not an ownership.
 Last night was my town's Art Walk. Artists open their studio spaces to the public, local businesses stay open late hang art on their walls to create a rich community vibe. It has to be said my hero of a husband took the kids to a comic book shop (also open late) so that I could wonder.. I first checked out some studios above the Spark Museum- a museum dedicated to radio, that took about 30 minutes or so and I was feeling antsy, like I had to get back to the family (part of my problem about defining myself- who am I if I am not a mother?). The comic book shop was across street and as I was waited for the red the light I checked my phone once more- Husband said:
"Take your time, kids are having fun." 
I suddenly veered left and went into a shop with a thoughtfully scripted sign, it wasn't flashy, it was elegant and simple Red Barn Jewelry... I took the time to go in and I was so glad that I did. I was met with beautiful jewelry and fascinating people. After actually asking questions and being probably annoying I finally said I AM AN ARTIST! I owned the title and even gave away a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment